3D Mammography Available At Dickson Medical Associates
DMA is committed to the fight against breast cancer and is pleased to offer Genius™ 3D MAMMOGRAPHY™ exams at their Crestview office in Dickson, TN. Developed by Hologic, Inc., Genius exams are clinically proven to significantly increase the detection of breast cancers, while simultaneously decreasing the number of women asked to return for additional testing.
The best protection is early detection.
A mammogram is a special low-dose x-ray of the breast used to detect breast cancer, ideally as early as two years before a lump can be felt. Digital mammography has become the gold-standard for breast cancer screening and is one of the most recent advances of breast cancer detection. When found in its early stages, the cure rate for breast cancer can be more than 90%.
Current guidelines recommend screening mammography every year for women, beginning at age 40. Mammography is the only screening method that is consistently proven to reduce breast cancer deaths. And since breast cancer found in women under the age of 50 is often more aggressive, it’s imperative to schedule your mammogram every 12 months.
3D Mammography detects breast cancers 15 months earlier, finds 41% more invasive cancers and reduces unnecessary call backs by up to 40%.
In conventional 2D mammography, overlapping tissue is a leading reason why small breast cancers may be missed and normal tissue may appear abnormal, leading to unnecessary callbacks. A Genius exam includes a three-dimensional method of imaging that can greatly reduce the tissue overlap effect.
A Genius exam includes both 2D images and tomosynthesis, or 3-D, scans. During the tomosynthesis portion of the exam, an X-ray arm sweeps in a slight arc over the breast, taking multiple images. A computer then converts the images into a stack of thin layers, allowing the radiologist to review the breast tissue one layer at a time. A Genius exam requires no additional compression and takes just a few seconds longer than a conventional 2D breast cancer screening exam.
According to the Hologic, 3-D mammography exams result in a 41 percent increase in invasive cancer detection and a 40 percent reduction in false positives compared with 2-D technology. This reduces unnecessary anxiety of call backs from false positives.
To date, more than 8 million women have been screened with this advanced screening system.
- Please bring a disc or films from any prior mammograms, if completed at a facility other than DMA Mammography. If you would like DMA Mammography to request these on your behalf, please fill out our medical records release form.
(Please do so 1 month prior to your appointment – it could take up to 3 weeks to obtain films from out of state.)
- In order to help minimize your discomfort during the exam, schedule your mammogram during the two weeks following your menstrual cycle (when breasts are less tender).
- Please bring any pertinent history to your appointment: prior surgeries, hormone use, family or personal history of breast cancer.
- On the day of the examination, please do not wear talcum powder, deodorant, lotion or perfume under your arms or on your breasts. Substances, such as these, can cause artifacts on your mammogram that will make the images harder to interpret. Towelettes and Deodorant will be provided to you after your exam.
- Wear two-piece clothing so that you only have to remove your top and bra for the examination.
- One of the recurring questions we have received regarding mammograms is whether or not insurance will cover the service. Based on our research, we’ve found that most insurances DO cover mammograms; however, because insurance benefits vary greatly from plan to plan, we advise patients to contact their insurance and verify the specific benefits and eligibility details related to mammogram services.
DMA Mammography is open Monday-Friday from 8am-4pm.
Appointments can be made by phone at: 615-441-4550
DMA Mammography is located at 127 Crestview Park Drive, Suite 103